1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Perfect Situations & Matryoshka Vignettes - Jeconais - T/M - HP/DG

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Wergan, May 21, 2007.

1. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

Title: Perfect Situations
    Author: Jeconais
    Rating: Teen
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Romance
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry Potter / Daphne Greengrass
    Words: 10,759
    Chapters: 1
    Published: September 28, 2005

Link: https://jeconais.fanficauthors.net/Perfect_Situations/Perfect_Situations/
    Summary: A eulogy for a Gryffindor.

Title: Matryoshka Vignettes
    Author: Jeconais
    Rating: Mature
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fluff
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry Potter / Daphne Greengrass
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 58,844
    Updated: May 20, 2007
    Published: May 20, 2007

Link: https://jeconais.fanficauthors.net/Matryoshka_Vignettes/index/
    Summary: What happened after Daphne's Eulogy in Perfect Situations?

Twenty interconnected stories that show how the different people were affected.

There are two ways to read this story. The "Pulp Fanfic" version, which is the way it was written, or the more prosaic chronological order.

~~~~~~~~
    Didn't see this the original posted when I came to post the Vignettes so I decided to post both. For those who don't know for all purposes Jeconais is a Romance author if you don't like romance stories you aren't going to like this.
    ~~~~~~~~
    I thought Perfect Situations was really good. The perspective of Daphne getting up and telling a story to a crowd was nicely done. I want to say that the twist at the end isn't surprising at all but as far as I know isn't cliche. Hope someone else will like this.

4.5/5
    ~~~~~~~~
    Onto the Matryoshka Vignettes, beyond the fact that the title drives me nuts, its quite nice. They are a collection of fluffy oneshots, generally from the perspective of others about Harry and Daphne's life. The main purpose for these stories was actually to give Jeconais a chance to experiment writing from others perspective beyond his normal. The stories weren't godlike but still well written.
    4/5

Checked by Minion, Nov. 18, 2012
    Checked by Sorrows: 03/08/2019
    - Links updated

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. raja

raja Fourth Year

I've read the first one and would rate it 4.75 I think, I'll edit after I finish the second, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it, anything Jeconais writes is at least at a certain level.

Edit: I really liked the second story too. My favorite was the chapter from Fawkes's p.o.v. But I didn't really get why he forgave everyone so easily, didn't he go to all of them before the final battle and ask for help? Especially the twins, he seemed really fine with them when didn't they too not help him? Still, 4.5/5

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I wasn't totally fond of Perfect Situations. Setting it in a church was stupid. The wizarding world is not religious in the least. I'll give a 4/5 to that one.

The Matryoshka Vignettes are really very good though. I enjoyed them rather a lot. I'll give them a 5/5.

4. malaga

malaga Auror

Perfect Situations was fairly average. Still readable, great for most authors, but fairly disappointing from Jeconais. I really enjoyed the Matryoshka Vignettes, especially the New Zealand chapter. Is anyone else reminded of Make A Wish?

5. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

it is one of the best series of short stories i've read.
    The story unfolds viewed by about 10 different povs and it reads like a typical Jeconais story (meaning very well done and polished).

The only problem i have with him in general is that Harry is always too strong.
    If your fond of "fairy-tale" writing, this and all his other works are for you. If you prefer more conflict i'd stay away.
    4/5 from me

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I give the story a 4.5/5 Although I was hoping for a better ending imo. Other than that, an excellent story.

Richard.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... just to clarify there is an ending coming.

Jeco wrote Perfect Situations over a year and a half ago. Then put up a bunch of unbetaed drabbles on his yahoogroup over the next few weeks. A couple of guest authors took on a few POVs as well (Kokopelli did one from a lawyer's POV, draco664 did one from McGonagall's POV, Crys did one from Fawkes POV and others I can't remember). Since then they've been betaed and repackaged as Vignettes.

But there is still a last 'vignette' or healthy sized one-shot conclusion fic that Jeconais has written or is in the process of writing. This storyline isn't finished yet. And for people that have followed his yahoogroup, none of this is new fic. We're still waiting on the conclusion one-shot/vignette to get some new fic on this storyline.

To me this is stellar Jeconais stuff. Maybe not as daring as something like "Hope" but I enjoy this fic and it's drabbles more than that one.

4.5/5 feels too low, so it's probably sitting on the precipice between a 4.5 and a 5, to be determined by the conclusion.

8. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

Didn't know about the ending but I was aware that these were all reposts. Sorry forgot to mention that he finally got them Betaed and posted on his main page.

9. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I liked Fawkes POV 4.5/5 :)

10. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I found the vignettes to be one of the better post voldemort Harry changes things for the better tales.

11. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

Yeah...I'm going to go against the apparent flow here and say that I liked Perfect Situations a hell of a lot more then Vignettes, which, honestly is really not worth reading except for a couple of chapters at the end, IMO.

Firstly, I fail to see any actual plot in Vignettes, besides Harry and Daphne recruiting a bunch guys to change the world. Furthermore, I see no reason why they would recruit Bill and Charlie, and trust them with the secret that Harry is alive when, in canon, they hardly exchanged three words between them.

Also, judging by the last few chapters of Vignettes, I get the distinct impression that Jeconais is building up to Harry forgiving everyone but Dumbledore, which, I strongly disaprove of, seeing as Dumbledore was the only one who didn't "betray" Harry out of selfish reasons. I like Dumbldore, and seeing his character get trashed like that, especially by an author as good as Jeconais really doesn't appeal to me. I almost abandoned the fic when several characters called him an old fool.

Another aspect of Vignettes that I had a problem with is the fact that Jeconais really doesn't make an effort to to flesh out Daphne's character, making her, in this fic, nothing more than an Marry-Sue, a sketch at most. The same can actually be said about Harry too, now that I think about it.

I was really hoping to see in Vignettes the same interaction between Harry and Daphne that we see in Perfect Situations, and that was a huge disappointment as well. Their whole interaction can actually be resumed to: "Daphne: Damn Gryffindors!, Harry grins" times a gazillion.

In conclusion, I wouldn't give Vignettes more than 3/5, 3.5/5 if you are willing to stick it out until the end.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Not much I can add to what Krull has already said. Though, I'd give it a lower rating. I thought it was quite poor and know he can do better than that.

13. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I enjoyed Pefect Situation immensely.
    It was full of win.
    4/5

It was Vignettes that I didn't like so much, as was aforementioned it seems like Harry will forgive everyone in the end, minus Dumbledore.
    I don't think I would enjoy that much, but would probably still read it just to see if Jeco would add a twist.
    3/5 I realized that; what if everyone had been wrong about their assumptions in Harry being alive. All those letters to a mourning Daphne (ex: "I know your husband is alive...need to speak to both of you..")
    That just seesm hilarious now that I think back on it.

Edit:
    Vignettes, I gave it a three.
    But the story flows along smoothly and is definitely better, in terms of spelling and grammar, than your average fic.
    More like a 3.5/5 The Fawkes scene...I forgot that one.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  14. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

Krull's post sums it up for me, although it was nice to see some ending to the Perfect Situations story.

4/5 for Perfect Situations

3.5/5 for Vignettes

15. candide

candide Muggle

Seconded. I really enjoyed Perfect Situations.

16. BrewBreaker

BrewBreaker First Year

Krull's post holds true to me as well. I really liked Perfect Situations; and besides a few chapters of Vignettes I really didn't care for the follow up.

17. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Kull does speak with truth. Perfact Situations gets a 5/5. As for Vignettes I'll give it a 4/5 because this story has nothing to do with cannon, from my point of view, and it flow nicely.

18. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Meh.....One of the few writers left that I read everything new and have been through the entire archive of works. I give it a 5/5 just because it's different and despite the lack of smut, quite interesting.

19. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The one-shot, Perfect Situations, was quite brilliant in my opinion. It was...different... and quite interesting through its entirety. 4.5/5.

The sequel type thing is not as good. Personally, I found Harry far more forgiving than I would normally expect from him. Still, it does certainly have its moments. For that, I give it 3.5/5.

20. Freelancer

Freelancer Fourth Year

Perfect Situation was great. I really enjoy it. 5/5.

The sequel was not as good as the one-shot, but it is still better then most of the stories that I have read that is HP/DG. 4/5.