1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Flash Harry by DrMckay - HP/Flashman Crossover - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Damnyoureyes, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes First Year

Sorry about the formatting error.

Title: Flash Harry
    Author: DrMckay
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Humour
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: ?
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 6,175
    Updated: February 18, 2009
    Published: December 27, 2008

Summary:
    Harry Potter is taken from Privet Drive at a young age by a mysterious older relative. A man named Harry Paget Flashman. How will this change in upbringing shape the boy and his world?

You do not need to have read the Flashman series to understand this.

Link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4747377/1/Flash_Harry

As I don't yet have a beta for this, I am in the process of re-editing the story myself, and posting it in this section for review. However there may be a few small errors, as I can only read the same words so many times.

The reason I'm posting it here as well as in the work by author seciton, is because I need some help and input you folks can offer, from a technical as well as a plot/opinion side. it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about being nice, either.

Thank you.

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. tywyll fiach

tywyll fiach First Year DLP Supporter

Mate,buddy...You've posted in the wrong area. I believe what you were looking for would be this.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11

My advice. Lurk Moar.

In regards to your story. I didn't notice any glaring faults in spelling and what-not. However, what little there is of it didn't really hold my interest, it doesn't really have any kind of hook.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah bro, you're doing it wrong... You should post your story links here to like PC or FF.Net, and include a summary, etc... Posting format is at the top of this forum.

Also, don't you already have a thread in WbA?

Just thought you should know.
    Edit:
    Damn you, person's who name I cbf to spell or say correctly.

4. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Mild humor, fair writing style, and one of the greatest British Anti heroes since Blackadder, I think it is a win and should be added to the library if it is finished.
    For now 4/5 and hopes for more chapters.

Your mileage may vary.

5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The Flashman series was started in the 1960s. Flash Harry has promise and uses a conceit used before but not often enough for it to be a cliche-- the slowly aging non-HP character-- perhaps most notably by DrT in Harry Potter and the Old Believers (DrT's best work) and Rorschach's Blot in Old Soldiers Never Die.

At the moment, I'll refrain from rating since there's not yet enough published.

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Um... FF.net Dr.T? Cause he has a big Zero for posted stories. Or has he posted elsewhere?

Edit: and chapters 2&3 are pretty much Identical

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes First Year

Thanks for spotting that. I was doing some editing and accidentally put the same chapter in twice.

Who is Dr. T? where would I find his stuff?

I got my start in writing fanfic on Stardestroyer.net under the title DrMckay.

I'm polishing and writing the next chapter, but it's going to be rather long and in-depth as it covers several years of Harry's life.

Any suggestions on giving him some decent skills without seeming too mary-sueish? I have some ideas regarding training Flashman was schooled as a Victorian Gentleman-(Swordplay, classics knowledge, etiquette, etc, and can be thuggish as well.

I am also working on a Star Wars/nuBSG crossover and switching back and forth so I don't get burned out on either story-added to that, I also have university coursework.

It'll be a while, but I am working on it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  8. Shadowglen

Shadowglen First Year

Eh, nothing great. Writing isn't bad but it lacks a punch. Chapters are very short, as well. Not really a lot to go on here.

As for DrT, his work can be found at Ficwad here: http://www.ficwad.com/author/12076 and at Fictionalley here: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/drt/. The specific story mentioned is only available at FictionAlley, in their Dark Arts section.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Here's the review I left on fanfiction.net

I'm rating it 4/5, but that might change when there is more to judge.

Suggestions on giving him some decent skills? Hmmm... well, you could always have Flashman teach him swordplay, as I suppose it's feasible he know that given his background. Is he skilled with the sword in his own stories? Anyway, Harry Potter could learn swordplay in such a way that he is taught not just how to use the blade, but to be aware of his surroundings and pay attention to his opponents movements, mannerisms, quirks, etc. That ability to "fight smart" could possibly translate partially into duelling with wands when he enters the magical world, since it's about how to fight effectively in general. You'd want to be careful not to overuse it to the point that Harry becomes OP, but it would be a point in his favor that he didn't have in canon.

Could also just ignore me, as I don't write fanfiction myself. Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  10. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes First Year

Thank you for the review and thoughts.

Actually, you've hit pretty close to the mark as far as the training and skills I've plotted so far.
    He will be learning how to behave in "society," how to
    manipulate people to his own advantage, and gain many skills of a young Victorian Gentleman. (Probably not Classical languages though, as Flashman hated them.)

Swordplay will be among them, though Flashy will be more concerned with teaching him to survive by avoiding the fight, or stabbing someone in the back, as well as studying human nature.

Oddly enough, I also considered translating the dueling mentality over to wands as well.

As far as Harry attempting to look pathetic and being conniving, He is seven years old in a horrible situation, and has not been completely bowed by pressure at the Dursleys yet. He has still attempted to retain a sense of self.

I am also attempting to tie the story into the Flashman books, and there will be several references to some of the books in the series. Already mentioned are sevral events from "Flashman" and Mr. American.

11. Machiavelli Jr

Machiavelli Jr Squib

As it's Flashman, there should definitely be lessons in cricket and, well, horsemanship is a bit outdated so maybe driving/flying? Also surviving-your-tennage-years; Flashy seems to have actually thought about this whilst at Rugby, and would probably like to pass on his insights. I really, really want to see Flashman's parting advice to Harry when he turns 11.
    Conversely, I wonder what effect the 20th century has had on Flashman's weaknesses? He expects to have the entree into society, being an English gentleman, which as a wizard he really doesn't - how's he going to react to that? He may not have liked Victorian polite society, but he was disliking it from within, and tended to be accepted pretty much anywhere. Also he tends to underestimate how much harm his social inferiors can do him if he upsets them. I'd be interested to see how you manage to carry off making an unashamed elitist likeable in the modern world.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LOL. Oxymoron?

13. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Aside from the Quatermain immortality thing I enjoyed it. I do see the need for that though as Flashman should be dead and gone by 1990 or whatever it is. Don't forget to sneak a Tom Brown into the fic at some point and I'll be happier still.

The writing is good, you capture Flashman's style quite well and I'm interested to see how involved Flashman will be at Hogwarts or if this is merely a changed upbringing resulting in a changed HP leading to a different series of events.

4/5 at the present time, not going to rate until there are more than 4 chapters as yours are quite short.

14. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

DrT's early works (first 2-3 I think, with the occasional short one shot since then-- my personal fave of the very short one shots is 'Amsterdam') are very good. 'Old Believers' was the first story he posted on Fiction Alley, and I consider it the best one he's done; however, it wouldn't pass muster if nominated for inclusion in the library since the story's ship is Harry/Ginny.

DrT's latter works do pale in comparison to his earlier works. The recent stories are, at best, guilty pleasure reads.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dislike this story a fair amount. The "talking to the reader" style of narration annoys me, and all the "jaunty" dialogue pisses me off.

2/5